Posts filed under ‘Common Questions’
I’m using the ANTI-AGE Regimen as directed and my skin has recently become dry and a little flaky. Should I stop using the Daily Cleansing Mask?
Skin and skincare needs change over time. Dryness could be the results of a few things: changes in diet, hydration, weather or activity levels. The ANTI-AGE Regimen helps to increase cell turnover. As new cells push up toward the skin’s surface, the old cells are forced to fall off and unfortunately some cells won’t let go. As a result, skin appears dry and flaky. We suggest that you gently massage the ENHANCEMENTS Micro-Dermabrasion Paste on wet skin one to three times a week as tolerated in place of the ANTI-AGE Daily Cleansing Mask to lift off flaky skin.
If your skin still feels dry, we recommend applying ESSENTIALS Moisturize with Melaslow several times a day, as needed.
My sister told me to wear sunscreen in the winter but it’s snowing and cloudy—what’s the point?
The aging rays of the sun, UVA rays, are present 365 days a year, rain or shine, sunup to sundown. They are as strong at 7 a.m. as they are at noon and even 7 p.m. They are so powerful they can penetrate clouds, rain, snow, glass, some plastics and clothing (especially loose cotton weaves and wet fabrics).
UVA rays destroy our collagen and elastin, causing wrinkles and sagging over time. UVA rays also stimulate pigment-producing melanocytes to release brown melanin, resulting in “liver spots” on the face, hands and chest—a true hallmark of aged skin.
Take your sister’s advice and protect your skin year-round with a Rodan + Fields broad spectrum sunscreen that is designed for your skin type every morning before you leave the house, and reapply throughout the day.
Do you have some tips to correct “bacne”? I always get it when I start working out on a more regular basis.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Since breakouts are related to workouts and not usual for you, the following tips can be incorporated into your routine to keep skin clean and clear.
- Protect your skin: Place a towel over the back of the weight machines so you don’t pick up what someone else left behind.
- Don’t stew in your sweat: Shower immediately after exercising. Use the ENHANCEMENTS Body Micro-Dermabrasion to exfoliate, clean and condition skin in one invigorating step for all-over renewal, revealing smooth, touchable, youthful-looking skin.
- Prevent with Skincare: Three times a week apply the UNBLEMISH Acne Treatment Sulfur Wash as a 15-minute mask because sulfur clears pores by shedding dead skin cells and helps to heal pre-existing blackheads and whiteheads. It also provides an immediate benefit by reducing acne’s telltale redness and swelling. Rinse and pat dry.
In winter months, my eye lids become dry and irritated … help!
Because your eye area is so delicate, it is more susceptible to weather changes and you will need to make subtle changes to avoid irritation. Here’s what we recommend:
- Use Rodan + Fields® ANTI-AGE Eye Cloths to gently remove eye makeup while simultaneously providing the sensitive eye area with powerful overnight anti-aging and restorative benefits without any residue or stinging, leaving skin feeling clean and refreshed.
- Use ANTI-AGE Multi-Function Eye Cream twice daily. This formula contains powerful collagen-stimulating and anti-inflammatory peptides to reduce irritation, minimize the appearance of crow’s feet, help reduce puffiness, and diminish dark under eye circles while special optical diffusers instantly brighten the eye area.
- Stay away from glittery frosty eye shadow as mica can irritate delicate skin.
- Wear sunglasses to reduce sun damage and wear sun goggles when skiing to reduce tearing and windburn.
My cuticles get so dry that they crack and become painful in the cold winter months. Even petroleum jelly doesn’t help. Do you have a cure?
We suggest a creamy cleanser instead of soapy, sudsy gels that can rob the skin of natural oils. Follow with the two step ANTI-AGE Hand Regimen on a daily basis as directed to replenish skin’s natural moisturizing factors to improve elasticity and resiliency. It also includes skin brighteners to even skin tone and immediately improve the appearance of hands.
As an added treatment for dry cuticles, glide the ESSENTIALS Lip Shield SPF 25 on the nail bed and massage in to hydrate, soothe, soften and protect skin.
My winter clothing is cozy but always feels prickly and makes my skin itchy and dry. Is there a treatment for this?
Your winter wardrobe usually contains wools that can irritate dry skin when you move throughout the day. Here are a few tips to treat and prevent irritated, frenzied skin.
- Be sure to bathe in water that is warm but not hot. Use a gentle, creamy cleanser that can hydrate as it cleans—the less suds the better.
- Pat your skin dry and apply the ESSENTIALS Daily Body Moisturizer to retain moisture and remain comfortable when challenged by climate and other environmental aggressors. Allow to dry down before dressing.
- Wear a soft cotton shirt under the wool sweater and tuck a scarf inside the neck.
It’s a new year and I really want to have beautiful skin that looks clear and refreshed. Which regimen should I try?
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to begin using the REVERSE Regimen to address discolorations and dull and uneven skin tone that result from hormones, post-acne dark marks and sun damage. Once skin is cleared of this unevenness, it will appear more radiant and healthy-looking. The medicines, in combination with botanical brighteners and sunscreen, lighten, brighten and protect the skin. Over weeks to months, skin will look progressively more clear and radiant, giving you freedom from having to wear foundation.
My skin is usually very dry and in the winter the dryness is unbearable. What can I use?
It sounds like your moisture barrier has been compromised. To fortify the delicate moisture barrier, we recommend our SOOTHE Regimen. Independent clinical studies resulted in an 80% reduction in peeling after five minutes and an 80% reduction after two weeks. Also, there was a 79% reduction in dryness after five minutes and a 74% reduction after two weeks. In addition, you might try using a humidifier. Indoor heaters suck moisture from the air, exacerbating dry skin conditions.
My company holiday party is three days away and my skin is looking as stressed as I feel. Any tips for a quick skintervention?
First, two full nights of sleep will do wonders for your skin. So try to make sure to get your beauty sleep between now and then. In addition, add in some gentle exfoliation to lighten and brighten skin. Keep skin moisturized and apply an eye cream daily with optical brighteners to keep the eye area bright and luminous.
Help! I am hosting a New Year’s Eve Party and I just woke up to a huge zit on my chin.
For an emergency pimple fix, here’s what we recommend:
- Apply ice buffered by a napkin for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce redness and telltale swelling.
- Cleanse and apply a treatment lotion containing sulfur, which can be purchased without a prescription.
- Sulfur helps to unplug pores and shrink swelling.
- Follow with a product containing 1% hydrocortisone or benzoyl peroxide (both are available over the counter) to keep pores freer and cleaner.
- Apply a thin layer of a medicated concealer.
If time permits, get a cortisone shot from your dermatologist. The results can be miraculous.
Every time I use a sunless tanner I get orange patches around my ankles and elbows. Any recommendations?
We are big fans of sunless tanning so we know all the tricks of the trade. Here is our best recommendation to avoid the patchiness.
- Exfoliate your body before applying your sunless tanner. This will slough off dead skin cells where sunless tanners like to stick, creating uneven color development.
- Apply a thin layer of moisturizer around your ankles, elbows, knees and wrists before you apply your sunless tanner. This will keep the sunless tanner from concentrating in these problem areas.
We are flying over the holidays. Any skincare tips?
The further you get from sea level, the higher the dose of cosmetic radiation. Passengers flying at 35,000 feet are exposed to between 50 and 100 times more gamma radiation than when they are on earth. Make sure you fortify your skin with antioxidant skincare and adequate broad spectrum sunscreen. And choose an aisle seat or pull the window shade down.
My lips are the first place to react to cold weather and the usual balms aren’t cutting it. Do you have a suggestion?
Popular lip balms will simply coat the lips and when it wears off, you’re back to where you started. Treating lips with ANTI-AGE Lip Renewing Serum nightly helps to restore definition and keeps lips looking naturally full and youthful. Used nightly, each mono-dose capsule helps lips retain natural moisturizing factors, smooths lip texture, reduces the appearance of lip wrinkles, and provides protective antioxidant benefits. The result is fuller, firmer, smoother, hydrated and more defined-looking lips.
For maintenance during the day use ESSENTIALS Lip Shield SPF 25. This hydrating lip balm soothes, softens and protects lips from the aging and burning effects of the sun with SHIELDrf, an exclusive complex of stabilized avobenzone and antioxidant/anti-inflammatory colorless carotenoids for effective UVA sunscreen protection. It also conditions lips with collagen-stimulating peptides to smooth lip texture, lipid molecules for long-term moisturization and dimethicone to protect the delicate moisture barrier. Vitamins A, C and E provide antioxidant protection, while shea butter, avocado and sunflower seed oil hydrate and moisturize.
Why does my skin get drier in colder weather?
In the winter, we turn up the thermostat in our homes which removes humidity from the air and causes dehydration of our skin. We also wear more clothing, which can wick moisture from the surface of the skin. Dry skin is thinner, more fragile and has less of a protective barrier. Once the skin’s barrier is compromised, moisture loss continues and the skin is vulnerable to the entrance of irritants and infections, often leading to a red, itchy rash.
Take a warm (not hot bath) and apply ESSENTIALS Daily Body Moisturizer after patting the skin dry to tackle body moisturization in a whole new way. Featuring RF-Dcell technology, Daily Body Moisturizer prolongs the lifespan of healthy cells so skin is more resilient to the climate-induced stressors that cause skin to feel dry, tight and uncomfortable. RF-Dcell acts almost like “psychotherapy for skin,” calming frenzied cells down, normalizing the rate of cell maturation and in the end, making skin function more efficiently. The result: skin is able to retain moisture and remain comfortable when challenged by climate and other environmental aggressors.