A Chance to Win …

March 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm 197 comments

What Were We Thinking?

What do parachute pants, shoulder pads, the Macarena, the cabbage soup diet, big bangs and blue eye shadow all have in common? They came, they went and we were left to wonder why we ever did that! Comment on this post in the next 24 hours with the worst fad you ever fell for and we’ll give you a clinically-proven, tried and true regimen of your choice. And to get the ball rolling, here are confessions from Rodan + Fields founders, Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

Coffee with Nurse Mary Myth Busters

197 Comments

• 1. Lisa Morse  |  April 8, 2012 at 6:11 pm

This reminds me of the favorite times! The 80’s, using baby oil trying to get the deepest tan. biggest curly hair. scrunchies in the hair and socks. lots of bangs and bad curling irons.

• 2. valerie tuton  |  April 1, 2012 at 4:03 am

I have to admit to the aqua net hair poof for my bangs. I don’t think they ever recovered ;-)

• 3. Carla Bryant  |  March 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Remember back in the late 80’s when you’d wear several different color “scrunchies” on your ponytail at the same time? Not to mention we would coordinate the color scrunchie with the sweat socks we’d layer on and pull up oyr calves! Gave new meaning to the word, “cankles!”

• 4. Jeannie Duncan  |  March 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Wearing pillbox hats, a wig teased to the top of the world, and big shoulder pads.

• 5. Bonnie Slone  |  March 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Tanning was my worst fad. The damage it did. I have already had a small cancer on my nose and my arm. But it was the thing to put baby oil all over and lay in the sun for hours. We had to see who could get the darkest tan…stupid, stupid. Wish I had known then what we know now. Thanks to Rodan and Fields some of my damage is getting better.

• 6. Deana Donofrio  |  March 29, 2012 at 6:19 am

Trying to do the “Madonna” look alike with lots of rubber bracelets, hair tied with a cloth headband, ripped sweatshirt over a tank top and skinny jeans.

• 7. Kimberly Georgi  |  March 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Stirrup pants and thick bulky sweaters sweaters with holiday themes

• 8. Karon  |  March 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Jelly Shoes

• 9. Laura Eason  |  March 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Probably the “body wave” home perm and I’m sure there was a pair of acid wash jeans somewhere in my life. Oh, and the T-shirt Romper with a big belt…that has got to be the worst…essentially was an adult Belted one-sey….not a good look at all!

• 10. Cheryl Wade  |  March 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I think I’ve got to win with the picture of my then current husband and myself in the late 60’s. Need I mention both of our hair styles ? Me with a redheaded afro and he with those horrible side burns. Oh boy. I couldn’t figure out how to post it to this site so please go to cwade.randf.com and see if you agree.

• 11. Stephanie Astrup  |  March 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Geesh, so so many to choose from!!
    The absolute worst would have to be shoulder pads up to the ears, bangs up to the sky, with some neon gigantic earrings that hit your cheeks every time you move. May be uncomfortable, but dang it I look good!!!!!

• 12. Jennie Whitson  |  March 28, 2012 at 5:19 am

OMG! I remember when hot pants and bra-less was in! Believe me, the tops of my thighs should not be paraded in public! And bra-less never makes you look sexier, it just “numbs” the sensitive areas – and what fun is that?

• 13. Linda Leonardis Cone  |  March 28, 2012 at 4:28 am

This picture is cute and really reminds me of how much we have in common! I remember wearing the same type clothes hiking around in the mountains of Colorado with my big hair!

• 14. Kristen O'Brien  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Here is a fun way to WIN a free regimen! What’s the worst ‘fad’ you have ever participated in ? Answer that question in the comment section of this latest blog post by the doctors and you are entered to win !

• 15. Derm RF  |  March 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Congratulations to Margaret Downs for being our lucky winner this month! As a prize, Margaret will receive a Rodan + Fields regimen of her choice.

Thanks to everyone for playing!

Sincerely,
    Your Derm RF Team

• 16. Molly Pennington  |  March 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Tight peg leg blue jeans!! Urg….

• 17. Lori Stanfill  |  March 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I had permed hair with spiral curls teased high & sprayed. I had on lots of makeup. I wore big, oversized, sweaters & jackets with cropped pants. Think Boy George.

• 18. Anna Marie  |  March 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I use to sneak Sun In from my mom’s bathroom cabinet to lighten my crimped hair. She forbade me to use the tanning bed so I would slather baby oil all over myself and lay out when she wasn’t around. Now I want to return the favor and give my wise mama the opportunity to REVERSE her sun damage. :)

• 19. Lona Roewe  |  March 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm

BIG HAIR!
    I SEE PICTURES OF ME FROM THE 80’S AND CAN’T BELIEVE I ACTUALLY THOUGHT I LOOKED GOOD!!!

• 20. Sheila Rokeach  |  March 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Trying to look like Olivia Newton John in Grease wearing black straight leg shiny black pants high heels lots of red lipstick and looking for a John Travolta look a like.

• 21. Pat Maggard  |  March 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Big hair, overalls, high top tennis shoes and a derby hat….yikes what a mess….

• 22. Betsy buescher  |  March 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Platform shoes that I could barely walk in my hair parted down he middle with two thin strands put back behind my ears and blue mascara with hot pink lip stick! Fabulous darling!

• 23. Laura Jasurda  |  March 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I permed my long straight hair into a kinky wiry curl and wore it that way for several years. My ex-husband did too so we looked like twins. It was ghastly!

• 24. Staci  |  March 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I just had someone post an old photo… Big hair , rolled jeans, banana clips, leg warmers, but the worst were the huge eyebrows! Why didn’t someone tell me I had two catepillars sleeping on my face!

• 25. Cindy Baxter Smith  |  March 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

Mine has to be the huge – I mean yards of fabric – in the legs of my bell bottoms, but very little in the waist. The hip-hugging, wide leg jeans! You had to wear the body-suit, with the snaps in the crouch, so your crack wouldn’t show! Then the snaps might get hot and burn your you-know-what! And of course at the bottom I had cork-bottom sandals that were 2-3 inches from the ground! Oh my gosh! Cindy Baxter Smith

• 26. Jennifer Durley  |  March 27, 2012 at 11:28 am

I would have to say my stonewashed, tight-rolled “Guess” jeans!! That was bad enough, but I had to add to it a mesh top, stiff hair sprayed bangs in the shape of a flower, and permed hair. TERRIBLE!!

• 27. mary clay  |  March 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

IN THE 80S I DID SOME MAJOR MISSTEPS! THE FIRST THING I DID WAS USE QT ON MY LEGS, ONLY, AND I’M SUPER PALE! THEN, OF COURSE, THE BIG BANGS AND HEAVY MAKEUP. ALSO, THE PEGGED JEANS, WHICH I WOULD NOT WEAR UNLESS THEY WERE PEGGED.

• 28. Shawna Smith-Etheridge  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh so many come to mind! My favorite from most of high school & after ~ blond hair with a spiral perm, baby oil or cooking oil with iodine for that intense Florida tan, the Madonna makeup & jewelry, always ripped jeans & of course tucked into very cool boots back!

Oh dear take away the hair & the oil~ 30 years later I just described my 13 year old!

• 29. Kim T. Hood  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

It would have to be my very tight poodle perm with my 3-4 inch bangs, my eyebrows with the 2 inch gap between them and my mc hammer pants! I have some very scary photos!!lol Let me know if y’all do a best make over contest…I got that one in the bag!lol

• 30. Bonnie Hughes  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:39 am

rolling our hair on juice cans and trying to sleep on the cans.

• 31. Melanie Vegas Gaspard  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

Z cavaricci jeans – pinch rolled up with Reebox hightops – and oversized Forenza shirt with BIG CURLY BANGS and LOTS of Aqua Net Hair Spray! … I mean GAD ME WITH A SPOON!!

• 32. Alice Torres-Heller  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

Black eyeliner that came past your eyes. Hairdo like Diana Ross and the Supremes. I thought I was so hot, ha ha!!

• 33. Jasmin Medina  |  March 27, 2012 at 10:09 am

I had big 80’s hair, super black eyeliner top & bottom & green & gold vertical eyeshadow like Cyndi Lauper!

• 34. Miracle Hurley  |  March 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

Oh my! Glitter socks. I thought I was so cool because that was Michael Jackson’s thing and if Michael could rock them so could I.

• 35. Romi Neustadt  |  March 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

I was an 80s nightmare, with stirrups, shoulder pads, a Flock of Seagulls short haircut and ENORMOUS Lunch at the Ritz earrings from Fred Segal. And the more neon all the colors, the better. Egad!!

• 36. April Edmond  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

Loved all of my neon colored and shirts waaaaay oversized and then tied in a knot on the side. Of course the pants were rolled tight and then mix match socks rolled down in a ridiculous bun type thing around my ankles. Top it all off with a side ponytail and big bangs and I was looking like a rock star. We even rolled our softball pants and chose neon green jerseys!! Loved the 80’s!!!

• 37. chris denton  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:50 am

stirrup pants!

• 38. jwhitey13  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’d have to say my high school mullet. If pushed I could probably come up with a photo. There I was, high school prom, sport coat, jeans, boots, scarf (yes sadly true), and the mullet. Worst part, the mullet was permed (again, sadly true). But I think I came as close to pulling off that look as humanly possible.

• 39. Monica  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

Gunslinger pants…they had big bell bottoms and ties that tied all the way down the outside of each leg! I thought they were so cool!!! Also hot pants!!!

• 40. Monica  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

Pants they called gunslingers…they had strings that tied all the way down the side….I thought they were so cool though! And of course hot pants!!!

• 41. Kerri Bonnici  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:31 am

Rolled and ‘pegged’ pants along with neon, thick shoelaces tied in a bow in my hair- worst fad EVER!!!!

• 42. Jami Boyle  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

The mullet haircut WITH a perm also!! Dittos pants

• 43. Allison Toups  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

UGGGHH. The eightie’s bangs–up, up, up, higher up then over. WHO started that ridiculous fad? And how much hair spray did I use daily to make my LONG bangs stand up that high?

Allison Toups

• 44. Glenna Wright  |  March 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

Oatmeal paste for a mask…looked like Creature from the Black Lagoon…oh, egg/oil as a conditioner on the hair….never would wash out…grease pit!!!

Join 9,054 other followers